Tuesday, 16 October 2012

Barbara-Helen Hill ~ words and threads

"I have a memory of sitting at the top of the stairs writing stories when I was ten or eleven. I also have a memory of sitting at the bottom of the same set of stairs with my mom's sewing basking making "stuff" teaching myself to sew. I believe I am on to something here and although I won't write a pattern I can write stories and although I won't sew clothes for myself or family, I can make dolls and wall hangings. I prefer to write by hand - then type in stories and I also prefer to sew by hand - hence small stuff."

Source: helen's blog
In the Cornfield ~ Photos from Helen's blog




Barbara-Helen Hill is a multimedia artist and author of the book, Shaking the Rattle Healing the Trauma of Colonization (Shadyhat Books). Her short stories and poems have been published in the Gatherings anthologies published by Theytus, as well as in other magazines and collections. (source)
Helen's blog is a place to find tutelage on doll-making and other fabric works, and to share details of a family-centric artist's life: to visit, http://bh-barbara-helenhill.blogspot.ca/
~
Shaking the Rattle       
Nonfiction 1996
Chapbook 2010


Collective Consciousness
Poems by Barbara-Helen Hill
Number Six ~ Native Writers Chapbook Series II

  to inquire about the series:  jwparins@ualr.edu

to order copies: Barbara-Helen Hill bh33@rogers.com


~


Read the rest of the article, including the interview with Helen, focussed on the anthology Somebody's Child (2011).
 One of Helen's short stories online
 ~

  title poem from her collection...

Collective Consciousness

as i stroll through the woods
of sugar maple
their crimson cover
now discarded
crackle under
my footsteps

Alleghany Mountains surround me
worn and rugged
their faces hold many stories
their appearance comforts me

the earth in her glory
soft and warm with birth and death
invites me
sit for a while and rest
listen to the gentle winds
drifting through the trees
I hear those voices
words that float
on breath
from generations past

I am told they are veiled
yet I see them
dressed as pilgrims
English, Scots, Irish and French
mix with Mohawk, Oneida, Cayuga and Seneca
in traditional Iroquois style

they are visions
for those who see
they are voices
for those who hear
they bring stories
told for generations
that one day I will tell

(c) Barbara-Helen Hill
~


They Danced Into The Night

Strawberry Fields Forever ~ Going Home

No comments: